What is a Credit Union, anyway?
The truth is, we’re a lot like a bank – with a few important differences.
Let’s break it down.
How we’re the same:
- We provide a safe place to store your money that is federally insured.
- We have a variety of services like credit, home financing, auto loans and more.
- We offer all the cool benefits of online and mobile banking.
How we’re different:
- As a nonprofit, we’re driven to help you succeed financially — without the excessive fees and high interest.
- We require a membership, but no worries–we also make it easy to join. This helps us keep fees small–and dividends big.
- Our members aren’t numbers. They’re company stakeholders who get a piece of the pie.
- (Mmm, pie.)
How we benefit you:
- Access better rates for all your financial needs.
- Enjoy dividends on monthly checking balances.
- Grow both your financial intelligence and wealth.
Joining Is Easy!
While credit unions have a reputation for being exclusive, La Capitol makes meeting the requirements easy. With a qualifying account, you’re eligible for membership if you meet any of the following:
- in the city of Baton Rouge
- in underserved designations of any of the following parishes:
- St. Bernard
- St. Charles
- St. John
- Baton Rouge Community College (BRCC)
- Delgado Community College
- Louisiana Tech University
- Northwestern State University (NSU)
- Nunez Community College
- Southeastern Louisiana University (SLU)
- University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM)
- Extended family member living in the same household as a La Cap member
- one of our select employee groups
- any Louisiana state agency without its own credit union
If you don’t meet any of the above qualifications, you can still become a member by joining the Louisiana Association for Personal Financial Achievement (ACHIEVE), which is an organization dedicated to enriching lives through financial education and skills development.
What type of account do I need to open?
Our regular share savings account and any deposit-type account will qualify for membership — we aren’t picky. This includes our high-yield savings accounts, perk-packed checking accounts, share certificates and IRAs. Simply open the account that’s right for you, and deposit the minimum required balance amount needed. That’s it!